Uptech Studio is in search of creative digital Product Designers to create outstanding user experiences and visual interfaces for our clients. We are interested in designers with skills across the range of User Experience & Design, from strategy and research to visual UI design. We aren't looking for unicorns, but we know that the skills and interests of most designers don't fit neatly in a box.
What we look for in UX Designers
You should have incredible empathy for people. If you are able to understand user's goals and design software experiences that are useful, usable, and a delight to use, then we want you.
- Passion for understanding and serving user goals. While user experience is the collective responsibility of everyone working on a product, we need you to be the person relentlessly fighting for our users.
- Excellent communication skills. You need to be able to clearly communicate - in live conversation, writing, and pictures with other designers, product managers, developers, and our clients.
- Honesty, confidence, and empathy. You need to be comfortable telling a Founder/CEO that their baby is ugly and do it without destroying their ego.
- Pragmatism. You understand that you can't help users if what you design never ships, so you enjoy problem-solving with developers rather than just handing off a beautiful design that might never get built. You'll advocate for research, testing, and feedback, but understand that every project has budget and time constraints.
- Generalist skills. You should be comfortable doing research, understanding and explaining mental models, creating personas, drawing customer journeys, creating flow diagrams, making wireframes, drawing mockups of screens, and writing specs. You don't need to be an expert in everything, but you should be good at a lot of things.
- Design skills. Although superb visual design skills are not a requirement for a UX design position, you should be able to work from a style guide and/or with the help of a visual designer to create mockups in Figma that we can review with clients and which can be used as specs by a developer.
What we look for in Visual Designers
You should have an eye for artful, clean design and possess exceptional UI skills. If you are able to translate high-level requirements and wireframes into amazing and functional user interfaces, we want you.
- You love to design software. If you have advertising & marketing design skills... that's great, but that's not the bulk of the work that you'll be doing.
- You love design systems, not just drawing individual screens.
- You can take a brand style guide and run with it to create a product design style guide.
- You create stunning user interfaces that developers can actually build. You know the UI conventions of iOS, Android, and web apps. You know that responsive design is a part of every design decision. You know that designing for usability and accessibility is part of the job.
- You sweat the details of consistency. Typography, color, visual hierarchy, spacing. You would rather design a system and a style guide than mock up every single screen. You always create styles & components in your design files so that you can easily mock up every screen if you really needed to. You know when that one special thing is needed to make a standout experience, and know how to intentionally and appropriately break your own rules.
If you have experience and/or interest in other areas of design or front-end dev work, that's great! We don't expect you to do all these things, but we like people that are versatile and have broad interests.
- Marketing design, ad creative, brand design. This isn't core to what we do, but comes up from time to time.
- A strong portfolio depicting your design skills and approach is mandatory.
- Proven work experience designing products and working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Proficiency with Sketch, Figma, and/or other design tools.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Up on the latest UI techniques, trends and tools.